In the past week I have secured a much better deal on our broadband simply threatening to leave.
We have been with the same provider for three years and had put up with steady price rises but the most recent increase was one step too far. With the three years history and no issues with payments over that time I guess they decided they wanted to keep us.
I rang the provider and pressed the options that sounded the most appropriate for telling them I was thinking of leaving. The operator was very friendly, professional and keen to help. He took a look at our account and immediately offered a 15% reduction in the monthly bill. That was a pretty good start, and I said so, but I knew what they were offering new customers and wanted to get closer to that. I think he checked with his supervisor and came back and offered a further 10% or so if I agreed to another 12 month contract. That sounded fine to me so I accepted the offer. We saved around 25% month on month and have nt even had the hassle of changing provider.
After this success I made a call to a different provider on behalf of my parents for their broadband connection and asked for a MAC code which is what you need to change broadband provider (like a PAC code if you have ever changed mobile network provider). Just the process of asking for a MAC code elicited a very good deal for staying. I politely declined and they came back with a further offer that would have been crazy to decline, it was that good, so we accepted.
– if you have been with the same provider for a couple of years or more and had a good payment record it is worth calling your provider
– look at what they are offering new customers. Don’t expect to match that exactly but ask if they can get close
– be polite and reasonable, make the operator want to keep you as a customer
– be prepared to sign a new 12 or even 24 month deal if you are happy with the offer
Latest posts by Ian Marshall (see all)
- Virtual Receptionist Services – the four most frequent questions - March 8, 2017
- How going virtual can help protect your privacy when working from home - November 9, 2016
- Gain advantage with the personal touch - November 9, 2016